- How To Write a Dissertation from Purdue University; especially useful for its list of words to avoid and other grammar tips
- How Theses Get Written: Some Cool Tips from the University of Toronto; includes great tips for getting started early (which I didn't do this time around, but will for the PhD!), and gives great insight into the process from the examiner's point of view.
- Resources for Thesis Students from the University of Aukland; while not an article about how to write a thesis, this page has many valuable resources in addition to thesis-writing links (beware: many are, unfortunately, dead links!).
- How to Write a PhD Thesis from University of New South Wales; though this one isn't specific to computer science, it is still relevant. You should read the section called Personal, about halfway down - it makes some suggestions about keeping yourself in good mental and physical condition while spending many hours working on your writing.
- Writing and Presenting Your Thesis or Dissertation from Michigan State University; this one is long and detailed, so I didn't read through it all, but it looks promising.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
How to Write a Thesis
I'm finally getting down to diving into writing up my Master's dissertation, even though I don't quite have all the results I need yet (yeah, I'm slow, but it's totally been worth it). I have been searching around the 'net for some advice and ideas that will hopefully get me in the mood, if nothing else. Here are some of the links that I found most useful: