Nonetheless, there are still some things I've been looking forward to and others that I have been worried about. Thought I'd share a few here.
Things I'm Worried About
- Will I finish everything I want to get done before I go on leave?!
- My eyes have problems that require me to wear hard contacts (can't see any other way, even with glasses). I worry about not being to see when I have to get up in the night for baby. It's also potentially unfortunate that I wouldn't be able to mess around on my phone or read a magazine when I have to get up for longer periods of time (or will I be too tired to do that anyway?).
- How long will it be before I am able to get back to doing useful things? I'd like to at least continue with reading books and papers related to my thesis after the first couple of months. If I'm really lucky, I'd like to ramp things up a little bit in my second four months of leave (fingers crossed for a "good" baby!).
- Once I'm back from leave, what is life going to be like? Am I going to be able to graduate in a reasonable amount of time, and for a reasonable amount of money as scholarships and funding start to run out?
- Having a cute little baby to love and cuddle, obviously. ;)
- I'm really excited to eventually make use of the really cool educational technology that's starting to come out these days. It'll be a while, but I'm looking forward to introducing my kid to things like Project Columbia, which melds Kinect and Sesame Street together. I hope I can eventually make some of my own apps that my kid can enjoy, too.
- I'm also already wondering at what age I can teach my kid to program with Scratch.
- We already try to lead a pretty balanced life (sometimes I feel bad about not being as hard-core as I used to be in undergrad). I'm looking forward to having a quality family life at home, enjoying everything from Christmas to everyday life that much more.