Here are some of my personal reasons for participating all these years:
- Provided you contribute three session blog posts or notes on the wiki, you will get a ribbon to wear on your badge. Ribbons are coveted at the conference, and the more you have the better!
- You were probably going to blog, tweet, and pin anyway, so why not get recognized for your efforts?
- You will make some wonderful new contacts. Some will be very useful professionally, and some will become great friends. It's quite fun having someone to visit no matter where you travel in North America!
- You can feel good about bringing the conference to those who can't make the sessions they want to, and those who can't make it to the conference at all.
- Community involvement is usually just the beginning of getting more involved with the Anita Borg Institute. Exciting times may be ahead!